I found this recipe years ago (2010) soon after becoming vegan. I brought home some agave nectar from the Whole Earth Center in Princeton since I had switched to natural and vegan sweeteners. The picture on the source website looks nothing like the finished product. Although, I suppose if you used the full 1/2 cup of canola oil, the cookies would spread. Did I mention I was also hypersensitive (mentally) about using too much fat in recipes in 2010, too?
I made these for the Great Colorado Wiknic (Wikipedia picnic) earlier this month and realized I hadn’t posted the recipe on my blog. When I made these cookies for the Wiknic, I used both white chocolate and chocolate chips (from Nooch Vegan Market in Denver), and for the flour, I used half a cup of coconut flour and half a cup of sorghum flour. I think. I make these cookies pretty often and rarely the same way twice.
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1 cup GF rolled oats or quick oats
- 1 cup GF oat flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2/3 cup vegan chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line two baking sheets with silpats or parchment.
- In a small measuring cup, mix flaxseed and water and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together applesauce, oil, and agave.
- In a medium bowl, sift then whisk together oat and almond flours, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Stir in the coconut and oats.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chocolate chips, nuts, and raisins.
- Add the flaxseed mixture to the other wet ingredients.
- Add dry to wet and mix well
- Stir in the chocolate, nuts, and raisin mixture.
- Dollop 2-tablespoon dough balls onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Flatten cookies slightly (they don't spread out).
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until they spring back when touched.
- Cool on the sheets for 10 minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.
Enjoy with a cup of tea!